Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mormon Lent?? I'm In :)

My cousin posted on her blog http://thewoodchips.blogspot.com/ that she wants to give some stuff up that's hard for her for the entire month of November. Got me thinking, what could I give up for a month? I mean, as a Mormon, there's already A LOT of things that I already don't do that quite frankly the rest of the world thinks we're kinda crazy for, like coffee, booze, sleeping around, smoking, etc, etc, etc. Now add to that all of the things that I've already given up this year, my house, any physical contact with the opposite sex that's more than a hug, most of my old life's securities, relationships with friends and his family, just to name a few. You can start to see my reluctance in giving up anything else. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm also the type of person that's always looking for more ways to better myself, to improve while also being entirely realistic in setting a goal I could actually achieve. So while I'm not giving up facebook, txting, junk food, shopping for shoes, swearing, TV, or my iPod, I can give up on my late nights. I get to bed ridiculously late, probably because I have a lot floating around in this head of mine and rather than lay in bed and stress, I go out and drive, or I blog, or I watch TV online, or facebook, or whatever I can to distract myself until I'm exhausted and know that I will fall asleep almost immediately. Downside? I'm looking in the mirror and not liking what I'm seeing. I look haggard, my skin is breaking out and looks flat rather than bright, those little lines under my eyes are only getting deeper, not to mention that I'm just plain tired. And of course coping skills are not at their peak when all I can think about is when can I squeeze a nap into my day.

So I'm on the wagon. My goal is to be in bed, lights out, on my way to dreamland every night for the month of November BY MIDNIGHT. I'll be back to let you know how I'm doing, because of course you care ;)

1 comment:

Bitabit said...

Melatonin, it is a natural sleep aid that our bodies make (gives you your internal clock) if you take it 20 min before you want to fall asleep you should just drift off to dreamland, available at your neighbourhood health food store.